Section V Boys V-ball

More
11 years 2 months ago #27808 by rochvball
Replied by rochvball on topic Section V Boys V-ball
Not official. They will be awarded Saturday.

Believe that Freddie Thom as is coached by Mr. Nash.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #27812 by Rhino14
Replied by Rhino14 on topic Section V Boys V-ball
Can someone please explain to me why V has B and BB? The only logical explanation I can come up with is to prevent a repeat of Midlakes Vs. Victor in the B's semifinal. So splitting it into B and BB virtually guarantees a Midlakes/Victor final. Did I nail it? Or is there some other reason?

More
11 years 2 months ago #27813 by volleyballer9
Replied by volleyballer9 on topic Section V Boys V-ball
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rhino14</i>

Can someone please explain to me why V has B and BB? The only logical explanation I can come up with is to prevent a repeat of Midlakes Vs. Victor in the B's semifinal. So splitting it into B and BB virtually guarantees a Midlakes/Victor final. Did I nail it? Or is there some other reason?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

In the past, a school like Victor, who is very close to the cutoff, is playing a school like Pavilion, who is significantly smaller so it doesn't seem very fair. Also splitting the classes up allows other schools to go further in sectionals which could lead to an expansion in boys volleyball in the area. If other schools see that they have a greater chance of winning a sectional title, they might be more willing to field a team.

Any other opinions?

More
11 years 2 months ago #27814 by statechamp8
Replied by statechamp8 on topic Section V Boys V-ball
Yes it is because of class size.... has nothing to do with 2 individual schools. Victor has just under 1000 students. You take a school like pavilion and pembrook that dont even graduate a 100 kids a year and a school like midlakes that is around 500 all together its not fair competition. Section V is very smart for this decision and I bet Buffalo will follow next year. I think it is great that they play a qualifier and just means more playoff volleyball and who can argue that!

More
11 years 2 months ago #27818 by jet
Replied by jet on topic Section V Boys V-ball
No need. Every team makes it to sectional play. It is an open tourney for Section VI

More
11 years 2 months ago #27819 by statechamp8
Every team in section v boys has always made it as well. I would think they would want to change it to be fair to the smaller schools so they wouldnt have to play large schools like hamburg... Do you imagine football allowing a school that has 975 kids play a team in sectionals that has a size of 250... Its what should have been in place a long long time ago...

• Aged
  • Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
11 years 2 months ago #27823 by Aged
Replied by Aged on topic Section V Boys V-ball
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by statechamp8</i>

Every team in section v boys has always made it as well. I would think they would want to change it to be fair to the smaller schools so they wouldnt have to play large schools like hamburg... Do you imagine football allowing a school that has 975 kids play a team in sectionals that has a size of 250... Its what should have been in place a long long time ago...

I think Section V should align their classes with the State in all sports. Sectional titles are too watered down.

More
11 years 2 months ago #27826 by Rhino14
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by volleyballer9</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rhino14</i>

In the past, a school like Victor, who is very close to the cutoff, is playing a school like Pavilion, who is significantly smaller so it doesn't seem very fair. Also splitting the classes up allows other schools to go further in sectionals which could lead to an expansion in boys volleyball in the area. If other schools see that they have a greater chance of winning a sectional title, they might be more willing to field a team.

Any other opinions?

But Doesn't the B champ play the BB champ for the class B title anyways? Or are they giving a separate B and BB title and then playing to see who goes to states?

More
11 years 2 months ago #27831 by statechamp8
It is 2 diff Section V Titles... So their is now a Class A Class BB and Class B all rewarded a section v title and then the winner of class BB and B then play to see who continues to regionals. Just how are girls in section v have been doing it since I can remember and most all of section v sports are like that...

More
11 years 2 months ago #27833 by rochvball
Replied by rochvball on topic Section V Boys V-ball
Class B Semis
Midlakes beat North Rose Wolcott
Freddie Thomas beat Sodus

Final on 11/9
Freddie Thomas vs Midlakes
6pm

More
11 years 2 months ago #27835 by Rhino14
Doing that in VI isn't going to alleviate any of the concerns that V seems to have with this. Class B would contain Eden and they are scarier than most of the AA schools. Class BB would contain Hamburg. The small schools would not escape the giants if we went that route

More
11 years 2 months ago #27840 by hsvb
Replied by hsvb on topic Section V Boys V-ball
Hats off to Section V for offering 3 classes this year.
As I understand it, the state has us as a 2-class system
making the break at 1000 (per 3-year class size). We've
opted for a 3-class into 2-class at regionals to allow
more of the kids to compete and grow the sport locally!
As I say.... hats off to you people that work behind the
scenes to develop the sport locally. Especially kudos to smaller
school systems like Midlakes who make volleyball
the priority, You are AWESOME and Volleyball rules.
A sport Lifetime for all!

More
11 years 2 months ago #27841 by hsvb
Replied by hsvb on topic Section V Boys V-ball

Class B would contain Eden and they are scarier than most of the AA schools.
No doubt, Eden will be back in force after the 2010 season when Victor moves up a division. My hope is that Etan has helped to improve recruiting at Brighton and they can push the envelop in 2011. Lots of analogies to Tyler Blank at Eastridge. Would be great for both programs to continue to grow and prosper and give Eden/Midlakes a run for their money in Class B into the future.

More
11 years 2 months ago #27843 by ty425golancers
Replied by ty425golancers on topic Section V Boys V-ball
predicting if victor moves up a class next year Eastridge will win class BB title

More
11 years 2 months ago #27844 by Rhino14
Section VI update

Class A finals Nov 10

Orchard Park vs. Frontier @ OP high school 8PM

Class B Finals Nov 10

Hamburg vs. Eden @ OP high school 6pm

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds