Hocus Pocus results/comments

• VolleyPower
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
8 years 5 months ago #31211 by VolleyPower
Hocus Pocus results/comments was created by VolleyPower
Any results/comments from the Tourney in Brockport over the weekend ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #28125 by jet
Replied by jet on topic Hocus Pocus results/comments
Well run tourney and very glad to be back on the Brockport facility.....been a long time since I've seen a WEVA event there.....much appreciated. Good height on ceilings and plenty of room around the court.

Power Pool results AA
1st NFVB 18-1
2nd DRVC 18
3rd Academy 18
4th VFX 18-1

Playoffs ; need some help on this one.

A side of bracket
1/8 finals
Lakeside 17 def Paradigm.....I really like what Paradigm has though.....very balanced team who will be dangerous.
VFX 18-1 def NFVB 17-1

1/4 finals
NFVB def Lakeside 17-1
VFX 18-1 def NFVB 18-2

1/2 Finals
NFVB 18-1 def VFX 18-1 - Little mini battle of the right-sides between Scott and Attea. I think Nik ended up 11 kills on 16 swings. Both were impressive that match.

Finals
NFVB 18-1 def DRVC 18 in 3 Shanahan and Foest put up strong effort in the middle.

Nice tourney and nice showing for the NFVB club.....but lots and lots of wrinkles to work out.

More
8 years 5 months ago #28126 by rochvball
Replied by rochvball on topic Hocus Pocus results/comments
Congrats to VFX 13 Mystic on winning the 14s and 14 Conjure on winning the 16s!

More
8 years 5 months ago #28127 by Islander
Replied by Islander on topic Hocus Pocus results/comments
DRVC beat a tough Academy team in the semi's on the other side. Didn't get to see the semis between Niagara and FX but heard is was a good match. Caught the finals between DRVC and Niagara. First two sets who ever passed better on serve receive won. Third set Niagara had the advantage most of the way. Got a little interesting in the end when Niagara kept subbing out their best player for additional height for the block, but with her tip ability (which killed Academy in pool play )and net jousting skills It would seem to make sense to leave her in the front row.

This was our first trip to Brockport and was very impressed with the facility. Much nicer venue to play in than the Armory.

More
8 years 5 months ago #28128 by jet
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Islander</i>

DRVC beat a tough Academy team in the semi's on the other side. Didn't get to see the semis between Niagara and FX but heard is was a good match. Caught the finals between DRVC and Niagara. First two sets who ever passed better on serve receive won. Third set Niagara had the advantage most of the way. Got a little interesting in the end when Niagara kept subbing out their best player for additional height for the block, but with her tip ability (which killed Academy in pool play )and net jousting skills It would seem to make sense to leave her in the front row.

This was our first trip to Brockport and was very impressed with the facility. Much nicer venue to play in than the Armory.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Those are valid points BUT those are points you earn on a sideout situation. The blocking sub at the upper levels of vb are used for a terminal block, touch block or channeled block ....the later 2 can be used into transition. It probably worked at best 3 to 5 times out of the 20 times NFVB tried it .......and part of that lack of success is "ironing the wrinkles out " issue of who takes the 2nd ball and transition to offense. Bigger picture and as the team gels it is a good move and one practiced often in the upper levels. Sometimes that move also depends on how the other team is passing and siding out and/or taking advantage of a mismatch.

Tactical moves are a part of the game.

More
8 years 5 months ago #28129 by Islander
Replied by Islander on topic Hocus Pocus results/comments
All I was saying is that I think having her (Feldman) on the floor gives you a better chance of getting a point than not having her on the floor. At the higher levels the talent depth of the roster is usually greater than that at the club level, and would seem to make more sense.

More
8 years 5 months ago #28130 by MBDAD
Replied by MBDAD on topic Hocus Pocus results/comments
I watched 100 D1 Women’s matches this year and never saw the setter in a 5-1 offense substituted for a bigger blocker. Right down to the National Championships, where Penn State stuck with their 5’ 6â€￾ setter as the block and their 5-1 offense through the entire second half of the season. Keep your best players on the court in my opinion. That being said both of those teams did have a couple occasions during the weekend where they had slight pauses against teams that put up a big block on them . as Russ Rose said " I don't mind short blockers I don't like bad blockers ".

• VolleyPower
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
8 years 5 months ago #28131 by VolleyPower
Replied by VolleyPower on topic Hocus Pocus results/comments
I'm sure a lot of opposing coaches love the idea of taking Feldman off the floor.

More
8 years 5 months ago #28132 by vb101
Replied by vb101 on topic Hocus Pocus results/comments
Hard to argue with someone who won.
Pretty common blocking tactic in mens and higher womens ball play.
May not have been necessary to win this past weekend, as it is a tactic best used when an outside hitters offensive ability is that much greater than opposing setter's defensive ability.
@ Brockport didn't see that type of offensive ability on many teams, though, only perhaps among a few opposites and middles.
Still, those type of squads are pretty prevalent elsewhere & doing that at Brockport was good practice for the future when those teams will be encountered.

More
8 years 5 months ago #28133 by jet
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MBDAD</i>

I watched 100 D1 Women’s matches this year and never saw the setter in a 5-1 offense substituted for a bigger blocker. Right down to the National Championships, where Penn State stuck with their 5’ 6â€￾ setter as the block and their 5-1 offense through the entire second half of the season. Keep your best players on the court in my opinion. That being said both of those teams did have a couple occasions during the weekend where they had slight pauses against teams that put up a big block on them . as Russ Rose said " I don't mind short blockers I don't like bad blockers ".
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Carpenter touches 10' since 8th grade and excellent blocking technique to boot.....nice try.......and they also moved her as well as other setters to block in the middle or right side sometimes to avoid the match-up against a line hitting OH......but in the evolution of team we are not yet there.....but you can lay money on the fact that we will. In addition it gives an opportunity for a newbie to get some big game/point experience early in the season.......which clearly nobody has even though of. 2ndly it is a teach tool for our other players libero/2nd hands/transtion to learn to work together to get through a situation where our setter can't get to ball. I want all my kids to be prepared for situations that are going to happen as the level of play really jumps. Furthermore the moves were most everytime made when we were closing out a match or had a lead.

The bigger point is if we serve tougher and more consistant the ability of the opposition to go after a smaller block becomes a nonfactor.

More
8 years 5 months ago #28134 by raider1
Replied by raider1 on topic Hocus Pocus results/comments
The bigger point is if we serve tougher and more consistant the ability of the opposition to go after a smaller block becomes a nonfactor.
[/quote]

aaahhhh...there it is. Serve tough and pass nails and you won't have to make that move, except maybe against the very elite. Keep them out of system.

More
8 years 5 months ago #28136 by Lancer
Replied by Lancer on topic Hocus Pocus results/comments
It all becomes a moot point when that same sophomore develops and becomes much more than an interesting sub.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds